Monday, November 29, 2010

Extra Credit Blog Evaluation

I had never used a blog before this, although I had always wished I had. I feel like it would be a really fun way to express myself.
Using a blog for this course really allowed me to get a better handle on the material we learned in class. It helped me to explore lecture concepts further, which aided me tremendously when studying for the tests, as I already understood most of the material.
The only real trouble I ran into when using the blog was adding pictures and other multimedia at first. Because I had never used a blog before, I didn't know what to expect, but once I got used to adding multimedia, it got really easy (and made me feel really technologically savvy!)
My favorite blog prompts were the more interactive ones. The ones I considered in this category was the one when we analyzed the shots of one of our favorite scenes in a movie and what they meant, and the one when we analyzed the dramatic structure of one of our favorite movies. This allowed us to add a personal touch to our blogging, which I think is an essential aspect of a good blog. The blog prompts that were more difficult were probably the ones when we had to find an advertisement or some kind of example of advertising. I didn't really know where to look for that and had a harder time finding the material to write about. It got easier later on when I started paying special attention to advertisements and recognizing certain features that connected them to the lecture, even before I knew what the blog prompt was.
I think this method is very valuable for any course. It allows students to work hard to understand the concepts they're learning about in class rather than just mindlessly taking notes.
To improve the blogging experience in the future, I would recommend giving a tutoring session before the first blog on: what language is expected (casual tone versus formal tone) as I was confused by this throughout the process, how to insert multimedia (particularly videos), and other helpful blogging tips and tricks.

Yes, you may use my blog in a paper or report

No comments:

Post a Comment